Acquiring settlement in the UK as a Victim of Domestic Violence

Mary-Ann Wanjiku discusses the legal aspects regarding domestic abuse.

It is estimated that more than one in three women experience domestic violence in their lifetime.

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence comes in many forms. The best way to overcome it or deal with it is to learn how to recognise it.

There is a common misconception that only physical abuse amounts to domestic violence. Times have changed now and so has our understanding of Domestic violence.

This could be emotional abuse, threats and intimidation, controlling behaviour and yes this also includes physical abuse. If you are in fear for your life, this could also constitute domestic violence.

There are a range of organisations that could help you resolve domestic disputes. But the first step is to recognise that there is abuse.

There is a large number of women who have come to the UK from abroad to join a spouse but are now experiencing domestic violence. Most of these victims want to end their relationship but are afraid that this will mean leaving the UK but this is not the case.

What does ending your relationship mean for your immigration status?

If you are in the UK with leave as a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of British Citizen or a settled person and your relationship has broken down permanently as a result of domestic violence, you may be eligible to apply for settlement.

Staying in an abusive relationship is never the right thing to do and neither is inaction.

We have done a numerous cases under this limb and which have been successful. Therefore, if you are or you know someone who is a victim of domestic abuse whose relationship has broken down permanently, take action now.

If you are afraid to leave an abusive relationship because you and or your children are dependent on your abusive partner, there are governmental concessions in place to help you.

Looking for a Divorce or Legal Separation?

We can help with this too.  Call our offices and book a consultation with one of our specialist lawyers. We are there with you throughout the process.

How can I get more information?

Complete this form and we can contact you.

    Or call us on 0207 242 1666.