Immigration Law

Partner Visas

This route is designed to allow a person who is abroad and outside the EU to enter the UK to marry or enter in a civil partnership their partner who is settled in the UK or is a British Citizen.

Fiancé Visas or proposed Civil Partner Visas

A person admitted to the UK is issued a visa valid for 6 months. You are required to demonstrate that:

  • You and your partner are aged 18 or over;
  • Your partner/sponsor has “settled status”;
  • Any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended;
  • You intend to get married within 6 months of arriving in the UK;
  • You intend to live with your partner and he/she has adequate accommodation;
  • Your partner can financially support you whilst in the UK, without recourse to public funds. This can be done in one of the following ways:
    • Your partner must show that they have savings for the both of you (and any dependents) to live on; or
    • A minimum financial requirements of £18,600 a year before Tax. However, this increases if your partner is sponsoring a dependent child.
  • Your relationship is genuine and subsisting and you have met in person.

You are not allowed to work in the UK during the initial period of six months unless you apply for an extension of your leave following your marriage.

What is the visa processing time?

The typical processing time is 2-3 months.

Switching from Fiancé Visa to Spouse Visa

Once you are married your partner, you can apply to switch to a Spouse/Civil Partnership Visa which allows you to remain in the UK for a period of two years with your partner. Once your visa is granted, you have the right to take up employment in the UK. Prior to the expiry of this visa, you can apply to extend your leave for a further period of two and a half years.

Once you have been in the UK for over five years, you can apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain in the UK). To qualify for settlement you must demonstrate that:

  • You are still married to your spouse/ civil partner; and
  • You continue to meet the maintenance requirement.

A year after the grant of your settlement, you can opt to apply for British Citizenship and subsequently apply for a British Passport.

Key Contacts

If you are looking for help and guidance or have a question relating to Partner Visas, please contact us today on +44 (0)20 7242 1666.