Family Law Solicitors

Abduction in a Foreign Jurisdiction

Abduction refers to the act of illegally taking away a child from their custodial parents. By somebody that does not have any custodial or parental rights over the child.

Abduction is a very serious offence regardless of the country you are in. Legally, abduction is regarded as a “breach of custodial rights”. When such an event takes place outside the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom, in a foreign territory, conflicting jurisdictional laws may become a problem.

Every country has its own laws regarding custodial rights. Which have their own geographical limitations. When a child is taken overseas, problems may arise. As the countries involved may have conflicting jurisdiction.

Possible Consequences

Child abduction can result in devastating consequences. Such as the:

  • loss of access to the child;
  • violation of child’s rights;
  • loss of nationality; and
  • severe emotional and psychological damage to the child and their family.

At Farani Taylor, we understand that cases of abduction in foreign jurisdiction can be very severe. However, we have a team of solicitors with international experience who have the expertise to deal with such legal affairs.

Our Expertise

Our policy is to keep clients well-informed and aware of any progress. We explain all the available options. Therefore we provide legal advice on what decisions are best, based on our experience.

We also understand that dealing with conflicting laws will involve insight into the legal framework of the foreign country. But we are international experts. Farani Taylor have a team of multi-lingual solicitors who have a deep understanding of foreign cultures and their legal frameworks.

These types of cases can be very daunting for individuals who are not familiar with foreign laws, customs and practices.

Matters can become complicated when it comes down to conflicting jurisdiction. But with our expert legal advice, you can be assured that you have a team that will secure the best solution for you.

If you have any question related to Abduction in a Foreign Jurisdiction, do feel free to contact a member of staff in the Family Law team by calling 0207 242 1666.

What to do if you wish to relocate abroad with your child?
Open What to do if you wish to relocate abroad with your child?

If you wish to move overseas with your children without the other parent you must have written permission from the other parent and anyone else with parental responsibility of those children.

If you do not have this, you need the permission of the Court.  

If the consent of the other party with parental responsibility is not obtained or if the permission of the Court is not granted and you remove your child from England and Wales, you could be committing child abduction.

Key Contacts

If you are looking for help and guidance or have a question relating to Abduction in a Foreign Jurisdiction, please contact us today on +44 (0)20 7242 1666.